View Single Post
Old 09-03-19, 06:44 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Liked 1,571 Times in 974 Posts
First, the law. Locally pretty sure we're supposed to walk it across.

Second, practicality. If it's a busy area, the safety implications mean you're better walking it across. You present a more obvious and expected visual object for cars. Cars expect slow moving pedestrians in cross walks, not quick moving bikes that suddenly appear. You're less likely to have an incident with a walker.

If there aren't any other pedestrians out, and the intersection is empty (relatively speaking)........I could see riding instead. But that's a judgement call based on your surroundings. Is it busy? Cars present? Pedestrians present?

This example comes into play here where a lot of greenway trails terminate into a sidewalk at an intersection which has a crosswalk. I enjoy taking this route for slower/easy rides. I just don't like the intersection it dumps me onto.

To avoid the Mexican standoff of the busy intersection/crosswalk/greenway terminus...........I exit the greenway 1/4 mile early and utilize a much less busy stoplight. Usually, I ride over and trip the crosswalk and then sit in the car lane to wait. Then when it changes, wiggle over one street to my original route.

I frequently will find a safe way to use a road instead of a crosswalk if it is a busy time of day.