Old 09-15-19, 07:44 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 765 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I grew up under the False narritive that cyclist need to stay as far right as possible.

after a way too many right hooks, and people pulling out in front of me. (lights made no difference). I started taking my lane in the intersections. I have not had a single car right hook me or cross my path since taking my lane.

I think there are several things wrong with being on the right edge of the road. 1. you blend in with the objects along the road. 2. that is not where driver focus their attention. 3. if they do see you over there, you are just a slow bicycle. (if you are slow then a right hook won't really matter, unless you have no brakes, or are trying to brake from the hoods on a drop bar.)

I am not condoning being an ass to car traffic here. If I have a car behind me, I may slow to allow them to get to the intersection first, then I'll take my lane. I see it as all part of the flow and yielding to faster traffic. at the same time making my world the safest place possible for me.

Communication is Key too. Knowing that many people fail to use turn signals. I'll signal my intentions of going straight at intersections. This has had a few people turn on their turn signals, that otherwise wasn't using them, to indicate they are turning left across my path.

EYE CONTACT is important. If you don't have it, they probably don't see you. Even if you have eye contact, they might not register 'cyclist'. just part of being aware, and being ready.

this is all my experience, and my opinions based on my experience.

and the law by the way , at least here. Is not to ride as far right as possible. It is to ride as far right as safely possible. My view on that, don't impede traffic. Navigating an intersection is not impeding traffic, so use the lane. and be in the focus part of it.

acknowledge, communicate, be seen, be friendly, smile, all things that makes traffic better.
Perfect