View Single Post
Old 09-15-19, 09:02 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11093 Post(s)
Liked 7,686 Times in 4,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
You can have a very secure grip on them and still easily use the brakes.
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Please post a picture of the very secure grip while also using the brakes.
Today I did the Coppi ride in WI that was advertised on the c&v forum.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...162293-do.html

63mi with 5000# if climb, which is a lot for this region. As a result, I went down a lot of hills and had plenty of saddle time to think about my hand positions.

Ends up when it's an actual descent that's more than a few degrees, I hit the drops. I think it's to get speed more than for safety though.

Since pictures of hood holding is in this thread, here is a blurry pic of mine while going down a slight descent(which turned into a significant descent and I hit the drops). I dont see how I could lose grip with my hands on the hoods- I have 1 or 2 fingers wrapped under the lever body.
I consciously thought about how I was breaking from the hoods and with 2 fingers I stop fine on long(relative) descents that are 5-12%.

Nothing new was really said right there, but I'm wasting time in a hotel tonight as I'm riding g 60mi of gravel tomorrow before heading home.