View Single Post
Old 10-04-19, 05:45 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Liked 1,429 Times in 835 Posts

Originally Posted by RShantz
Exactly. I love riding, but as if it becomes "work" I'll stop and find another hobby. I want to enjoy life as much as possible.
In my youth I was a competitive athlete. Went to college on a football scholarship (QB) and also played baseball (SS). When I began cycling in my 30's I was filled with that competitive testosterone. Up until last year. at age 72, I was so focused on being faster, stronger, better, that I wasn't enjoying riding. But, mid way through the season something changed. When my Saturday club ride started getting over 40 miles I just said no. That's not what I want to do. I enjoy my little TTs and my 25-35 mi. rides I can ride them hard or I can focus on playing with gear selection or different cadence when climbing. And, I can ride and particularly climb at my pace rather than the group pace. I stopped caring about how others saw me as a cyclist. I started enjoying being on the bike. This year for my 73 birthday my gf bought me a CAAD12 and with that bike and a new attitude I have been having more fun than I've had in years. The strange thing is that I'm also riding with "souplesse" as the French say. In my youth I was stronger but I've never been better.
Likes For bruce19: