View Single Post
Old 10-07-19, 09:45 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
How "Off road"

If it's not lots of bumps and tree roots and rocks....skip the front suspension. If it's just hard pack dirt without a lot of hard impacts...still skip the front suspension. If it's a seriously rocky trail with large drops that truly needs a front suspension....the spring shocks on the 3 bikes you have picked will be woefully underpowered and relatively useless. If you want to do serious off trail riding, get a real mountain bike for that riding and a rigid fork hybrid for commuting. Neither bike will be ideal for both types of riding. Each can be perfect for what it was designed for.

That said...all 3 bikes you have picked out will make a fine commuter bike. The spring shocks on them will help smooth out a bumpy road to make life easier on your hands, but will sap energy and make pedaling harder and less efficient. (I have a Crosstrail and leave the suspension locked 95% of the time. In hindsight I wish I would have gone with the rigid fork option on their low end hybrid line)

Choose based on which one just feels better riding it. There is no measure for that. You just have to decide which one feels best.

If they all feel the same...the second way to choose is by which one comes in the color you like better. Or by price.

Honestly you can't go wrong with any of those 3. If it's a short commute the suspension won't really matter.
Likes For Skipjacks: