Old 10-07-19, 05:17 PM
davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by NDB

The bikes I'm considering so far are:

• Cannondale Quick CX 4 2020 (£499)
  • Specialized Cross Trail Hydro Disc 2019 (£575)
  • Trek Dual Sport 2 EQ 2020 (£575)
You gave us 3 discrete options; if these are what you have it narrowed down to then yes, it will come down to a test ride. All three are SUPER reputable manufacturers and at similar price points should have similar components. It's going to come down to the dealer you like best (not a frivolous thing at all!) and which one RIDES and FITS the best (the most important!)

That said, I would highly recommend testing out some 27.5+/29+ rigid bikes with smooth tires (lite gravel type tire, etc) - I think you'll really like it and I don't think you need a suspension fork, based on your description of your intended use - the fork will cost more, give you a weight penalty, and degrade the handling compared to a rigid specific fork.

I recently test rode a Jones LWB in Oregon and LOVED it. Best bike I've ridden hand's down. You don't have that option because you don't live near Oregon but there should be a decent analogue for you nearby to at least get the sense of what a plus-platform, rigid-specific frame feels like. I think that's what you're after.

If you're still married to the 3 bikes listed, I think that's great also because I highly respect what they're doing in the industry as well. Happy riding!