View Single Post
Old 10-10-19, 10:17 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
A spritz of water in the face from a water bottle is enough to deter a chasing dog. In all my years of riding, I have never met a dog that couldn't be deterred from chasing by spraying with a water bottle. If you had dog spray or bear spray that would 100% deter the dog. I don't know where you heard that it might not be effective. On a bike you don't need the dog to be completely incapacitated - just to interrupt it momentarily to get a few more meters ahead.

A club seems like a bad idea because of how close you would need the dog to get before you can use it, and a dog might mistake it for a stick that he is used to 'playing' with, and swinging the club would almost certainly involve compromises in bike control and balance.

A taser, even if you could be sure it would be effective, would be almost impossible to use while being chased while riding a bike at top speed.

A knife is an absurd idea. Maybe if the situation devolved into you lying on the ground being mauled by the dogs you could get a couple good stabs in, but unlikely.
Likes For Wilfred Laurier: