DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2013 Specialized Crosstrail, 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by marcoguzm
It was a hassle to install all that, lots of adjustments, but I'm using the bike now. I can climb those hills with 13 - 14% grades, close to home. There is some rub at 30t chainring and higher gears, I can use the 46t chainring up to the 26t cog, without any rub. The shifters work fine, an Ultegra on the left, and a Dura Ace on the right.

It would be nice to have a Sugino crankset, but I've got to analyze this option. Now, I'm using the bike and doing those hills. On the flats I can accelerate pretty well with a 46t chainring, I'm 66, the ultegra crankset 53/39 was very tough on climbing for me, it was very good on the flats; it's much easier now with those mountains and hills close to home.
I've been using a FSA 46/30 with an 11-32 cassette for a couple of years, but this summer I encountered a couple of hills that had me struggling. So right now there's an 11-34 cassette down on my workbench that I'll install when I bring the bike in for the winter. One thing about the 46/30 is that I find that I'm pretty well spun out at between 25-30mph. On the other hand, I'm only going to see that speed going downhill when, at 73, I have no business pedaling to try to go faster!
Likes For DougG: