View Single Post
Old 10-22-19, 08:14 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by ab_antiquo
This is a nonsensical response and a straw man argument. I have not claimed that drop bars on are superior to flat bars.

It would be helpful if you read, and understood, the post that I was replying to before replying.

Here is what I was responding to:

”It takes a minuscule amount of effort to steer a bicycle. Any extra leverage, even if it existed, would be completely unnecessary.”

Good luck in your search for understanding.
Good luck in your condescension. I did not claim you claimed anything.

Unless you just parachuted into this thread to make that one post you'd understand the whole context of my reply. It's been a mud fest of trying to suggest one position on the bars are superior or neccessary to the other for this reason or that. Safety, braking, maneuverability. Take your pick. You posted a video (again, I enjoyed it) seeming to suggest riding in the drops was needed, in some situations. I was simply struck that the guy you were following used flats in the same conditions.

In my response video I linked to a guy who switched to the hoods every time he wanted more maneuverability. Not to discredit your POV but to show that simply linking videos really doesn't prove a point. In this thread several videos have been used in that way and all of them seem to show half a picture or a picture out of context (like a guy teaching how to do a front wheelie as evidence about an endo).

Sorry you got upset. In this context, my question wasn't a straw man but simply addressed the main (albeit admittedly silly at this point) thrust of the current debate.

You said: "it can take a significant amount of effort to steer and the extra leverage from being in the drops is completely necessary."

I asked: :what about the guy using the flats?"

I then linked a video showing that some go to the hoods, not the drops, for extra leverage.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-22-19 at 08:26 AM.