J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by francophile
Devil's advocate for a sec ... Not sure what your CL is like, but here in Atlanta, if you list anything, you get harvesters and scammers 90% of your inquiries saying "If you still have <item> I'll take it". After a month of getting nothing but that and thinking you're being hammered on all sides, then to get another one ... that's enough to send someone over the edge. Then, when you realize this is a real human and not someone from Nigeria, you come down off your guard, then they want to initiate a haggle sight-unseen?

I dunno. Maybe it's because I have three bikes up for sale and I'm getting lots of tire kickers and have been stood up on meets three times already, and my truck caught fire this morning on the way to work, but ... I can totally see how a rational human being could be in that person's boat. Selling on CL is stressful. It sucks. But there just isn't any better way to wheel and deal locally.
I dont like to brag. Its just not in my nature. However, I am a well-seasoned CL buyer/seller. Remember me mentioning that everyone has a "personal code of ethics" concerning buying a selling? There's a huge technique. It also helps to have a BS in Marketing Science. *wink*

1. Put into your ad the words: I will not respond to ads without a return phone number. Give me your phone number and I will call you as soon as I can. It works like magic, especially if you adhere to it. I get a lot of "I'll take it" emails. I reply, "Surely. Send me your phone number and I'll call you back. If I get nothing but radio silence I delete the email after a couple days and move on. I'm all about the theory that if they really want it, they'll do it my way. If they are smart enough to make a lucid decision about this, then they'll do what it takes to keep them and myself safe.

2. I usually try to deal in higher-end bikes now. It weeds out the dirtbags. My philosophy is that if I know what I'm looking at, I'll be able to judge if the other guy knows what he's looking at, and calibrate the deal accordingly.

3. Wheeling and Dealing: The more you put into it, the more you get out of it. Karma, folks. Its real. Every potential buyer is your best friend. Some people will never resonate with you, obviously, but I've met some great people over CL deals, and many I consider my friends and friendly bicycle related contacts.

I could seriously write a book about the philosophy of CL deals and dealing. I could ramble here until I run out of cabernet... that would be bad!

But I'm done rambling.