Old 11-23-19, 02:24 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,921 Times in 657 Posts
Originally Posted by LMQCycles
Doug, are you still selling the Nikko blanks?
Yes I still have a few sets in standard oversize. This is for a 1 1/18" top tube and seat tube and a 1 1/4" down tube. Because they are bulge formed they don't have welded seams and are reasonably easy enough to change lug angles a couple of degrees. They cost $90 for a set of 3 + shipping. All the money goes to our charity bicycle project in Ukraine where in the east part of the country only military vehicles are allowed on the roads so walking or riding a bike is their only way to get around.

Send me an email so I can send you the pdf templates to create your design. PM me for my email address. Included will be several pages of instructions on how to design and cut them out. The short version is to draw on the template that is 200% life size. This makes it much easier to create the design accurately. I like to print out the templates on vellum paper. It is somewhat translucent to trace the other side and can be erased many times. There are several ways to to print out and paste your design on the lugs. I like to use Avery brand label sheets you can buy at office supply stores. It is possible to just glue them on with rubber or better yet contact cement.

The principle of lug cutting is to cut close to the line and then file to the line. I start by drilling out any circles or semi-circles first. Then I trim away bulk excess with a Dremel cut off wheel. In the last few years they have come out with quick release abrasive cut off wheels that are very effective. I use a jeweler's saw with #2 blades to get close to the lines and then finish off with files.

The 1st picture shows both the 200% template and the same design glued onto the seat tube. If you look close you can see traces of my multiple erasings.
This is a frame I'm making for my nephew.

Last edited by Doug Fattic; 11-23-19 at 02:27 PM.