Old 12-04-19, 11:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
The total rest day thing is usually for elite level athletes just before a competition or attempt at a new record. And that's after tapering. So the final active recovery day would typically be a couple of days before the competition or record attempt. That's pretty typical for most boxers in the top ten when prepping for a big fight. Their managers and coaches don't even want them walking around much the day before. Some athletes in other top tier competitions take a similar approach.

When Phil Gaimon visited Medellin, Colombia a year or so ago for a KOM attempt, he also did a travelogue show that included some hiking with his guides and hosts. Between the hike and thin air Phil was way below peak form the next day and bailed out on the KOM attempt. Oh, he was still generating almost 400 watts on the climb. But that was nowhere near enough for the KOM so there was no point in continuing. And if you've watched enough of his videos it was evident that his form was way off peak.

I take plenty of complete rest days -- other than housework or short walks to the nearby store -- because at 62 I can't train at the level I used to. And I do active recovery rides solo because most so-called group recovery rides gradually ramp up to tempo pace rides within 5 miles when fellow MAMILs can't resist showing off.

But for younger peak form athletes it's a whole nuther game.