View Single Post
Old 12-10-19, 03:38 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
It isn't the trailer's overall strength...

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
They don't. All the double leg stands I know of mount at the Stoker bottom bracket. The trailers all mount at the rear dropout(s). [FWIW] We are not big fans of using dual-track trailers with (single track) bicycles. Yes, they usually have a higher ultimate weight capacity but, respectfully, you are doing it wrong if you are exceeding the weight limit of a Bob Yak on even an extended tour. The tandem pictured above has a BOB ready Q/R, and we shop every week pulling the Yak. Getting ready for Thanksgiving for the last 5 or more years means exceeding the rated weight limit (70lb.) by at least 40lb. The trailer has stood up to this abuse just fine but the Pletscher stand has a bit of a limp. There are other double leg stands (cheaper too) that are better able to deal with 120lb. trailer loads. None are as elegant as the Pletscher though. Even the lowly Trek wheels are still as straight as new after all this abuse. Handbuilt wheels are absolutely able to handle the extra weight imposed by a single-track trailer[/FWIW]
... that determines max load. It's the ratio of Yak load to rider and its effects on bicycle dynamics that determines the recommended load. I, too, have overloaded a Yak on the tandem after a Costco run without issue. And I'd concede that the max load limit could probably be pushed up a bit for a heavy tandem team.

BUT, everyone needs to understand that overloading the trailer won't damage it or your bike, but it will seriously increase handling problems, specifically high-speed wobble issues. If your trailer is really heavy and you encounter a fast descent, you may encounter speed wobble/high-speed shimmy that could be disastrous. As in the bike starts wobbling out of control until you crash and crash hard!

My wife and I met another cyclist while on our honeymoon. He noticed our Yak and gave us a stern warning to not overload it. He made this mistake and crashed hard on a fast descent while touring. He then lifted up his shirt to reveal the gnarliest road rash scars that I've ever seen! That made quite an impression on us!

And I'd even be cautious nearing the Yak max load rating for small riders. A 100 lb. rider, for example, wouldn't do well hauling 70lbs. on a Yak, especially on a fast descent!

So everyone should take this into account when loading trailers on bikes. I thought it worthwhile to share in this thread, even though it's really about kickstands (sorry, didn't intend to hijack!).

Also, for those interested, EVERY bicycle will experience high speed wobble. Most bicycles never reach high enough speeds to initiate the problem, so it isn't really worth worrying about. And the high speed effect is NOT resonance, but actually called Hopf Bifurcation. I actually have no idea what this is (save for a layman's understanding of resonance frequencies), but a math professor happened to expound on the subject with Velo News' Lennard Zinn. Anyone interested in the nuts & bolts and math of the subject, can read it at the link below. Enjoy!

https://www.velonews.com/2013/11/tec...-shimmy_309601
(Scroll to last entry.)