Old 12-16-19, 04:24 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Department store bikes are of very low quality and poor assembly and never fit right. They are not designed to be ridden often or for riding long distances ....If you're looking for something cheap, it's better to purchase a used brand name bike then a new department store bike.
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Big box store bike will cost more over time
Originally Posted by Gconan
You cannot make a good bike at department store prices. They are made to be at a cheap price point. It is not a good idea to make a new bike that cheap. Always go to a bike shop.
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Another way of saying it....you'll be buying that same bike again and again year after year....because it was badly built, and the cost of repair/maintenance exceeds the value of the entire bike.

I tried to talk a coworker into buying a decent bike...blew me off and got a "GMC" Amazon Special for $100 and PRIME SHIPPING!! Well, in the next 5 years he had to buy 5 more of the hunks of junk, because the wheels were crap from Day 1, the brakes were bad, he didn't know how to adjust cables, the bar tape went to pot....the bearings in the pedals fell out....
160 mile ride last Thursday during the Cold Full Moon. Began ride at 5:15pm Wednesday on my 2002 bought at Target $100.00 Magna 7 speed shock fork/spring seat post riding 26 miles then switched to my 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL.

100 mile ride yesterday begun at 3:30AM on my 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL and rode 36 miles then 64 miles on my 2002 Magna with front basket since I went food and wine shopping. BTW -- the Magna weighs 38 pounds with 60psi - 26 x 1 3/8 tires and has over 10,000 miles since purchased with minimal maintenance.

Some times you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug. 5:30am and heading out to WM for some 0.0 Heineken. Great sipping from a thermos when riding.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 12-16-19 at 12:06 PM.