View Single Post
Old 12-27-19, 02:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Liked 9,103 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Ditto. That little gland can wreak havoc on our entire lives when it malfunctions. And usually only people with thyroid problems can understand. Most folks just don't get it. And it takes for-freaking-ever to stabilize our metabolism with levothyroxine or other replacements for a failed thyroid.

After surgery to remove the calcified cancerous thyroid lobe in November 2018, I'd guesstimate it took me until late summer this year to finally begin to feel more or less normal again.

And my endocrinologist was very cautious about increasing my dosage. I also had early onset osteopenia and a family history of osteoporosis, sometimes severe. So my endo doc refused to authorize any drastic increases in levothyroxine just because I kept whining about having no energy. She just told me to be patient and let the therapy take its course. Too much levothyroxine ran the risk of aggravating bone density problems and they wanted to see if my remaining thyroid lobe and parathyroids would kick-start themselves and regain function.

I also take a fistful of supplements but who knows whether it actually works. I feel better now than I have in years, but maybe that would have happened without the supplements. I'm probably peeing 99.99% of it out. Whatever, it's my expensive urine.
I don't keep my disdain for the entire supplement industry a secret, but I don't doubt that someone with your history might need to compensate for problems processing micronutrients, and whatever you're doing is working incredibly well for you.. You have probably done this already, but be sure to check with your endocrinologist about any possible drug interactions with all of the supplements.

Wow, these posts are really amazing! You've more than recovered from two major simultaneous setbacks.