View Single Post
Old 01-05-20, 12:01 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Liked 7,690 Times in 3,088 Posts
Originally Posted by tedlemme
So, you may be right. Maybe we actually do have the fit close enough, and it's time to play with the next things. The way I see it, there are three parts: bike, shoes and body. If the LBS guy is right, maybe the bike is already right. It looks a little like Frankenstein with the crazy extreme seat post and stem, but if the measurements are right, I guess that's okay. Maybe it's my body, maybe it's the shoes. I can fiddle with the shoes. As for my body, when I saw the PT (who I have no choice about, because that's the way the military medical system works), he said "if it hurts, stop doing it." (My concerns about the quality of care from military medical is a WHOLE other topic). So, unfortunately, fixing any body/strength/flexibility issues is up to me and Google.
Yeah, it's important to keep in mind that everyone on this forum is speculating about your bike fit, on very little information. Your fitter, on the other hand, actually saw you on the bike and made adjustments. So, I would be very hesitant to throw your fitter under the bus and declare that he/she didn't know what they were doing. If you feel pretty good on the bike (other than the knee pain), the fit may be okay.

On the other hand, have you looked into getting a "medically-prescribed" bike fit? A good sports medicine clinic should be able to do one, and they're basically meant to deal with problems like yours. Unfortunately, you probably will have to pay out-of-pocket to have one done. It might be worth it ...