View Single Post
Old 01-12-20, 11:10 PM
Jim from Boston

Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
What’s too windy to ride? How Much Wind Do You Tolerate?
Originally Posted by biketampa
Wondering what people’s threshold is for skipping a ride due to wind?

I had 3 hour gravel ride scheduled for today but with winds forecasted as 15-25+mph with gusts up to 40+mph I figured it’d be wise to push it off until tomorrow.

Sure I probably could have pushed through but I’m guessing it would have been a bit of a sufferfest.
I have previously posted about assessing wind speed semi-quantitatively while on the road without an anemometer to this thread, "
What’s too windy to ride? How Much Wind Do You Tolerate?"
Originally Posted by RFEngineer
At what point will you cancel your ride because of the wind? 15 mph sustained winds? 20? 30? I've had a couple beautiful days here lately, but the wind has been ridiculous.

There's no way I can have an enjoyable time in 20 mph winds.
Originally Posted by Reynolds
I'm not used to evaluate wind speed. but I ride as long as the wind doesn't blow me off the road
Originally Posted by Jim fromBoston
On my Excell spreadsheet I track:..

• Wind speed and direction: Either as recorded on a weather station, or on a personal 1 to 6 scale (headwind / tailwind) based on flying flags; to explain variations in average speed...
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I a cycle-commute to work (14 miles one-way) so I have motivation to go out and ride, no matter what the wind. Here in Boston, wind speeds of 4 of 6 on my scale are rare, less than once a year, and gusts do have the force to push me laterally.

I don't conscientiously think about falling tree limbs, but such usually occur with rainstorms that dissuade riding.

It's useful to assess wind speed and direction because on good and bad riding days, sometimes it's hard to know if it's me and my energy levels or the wind that's responsible.

My most dangerous wind riding was along the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, with gusts that vigorously pushed us laterally to the left; about a 5 of 6, graded retrospectively.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My idea of a 1 to 6 scale of wind phenomena (waving flags) to guage wind force (speed) is based on the formalized Beaufort Wind Force Scale

The Beaufort scale is from 1 (calm) to 12 (hurricane force) and the determination of the scale number is based on defined observations of phenomena such as rising smoke; papers, dust and debris on the ground; wave heights; flags; umbrellas unfurling, etc.
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The Beaufort scale is an empirical measure that relates wind speed to observed conditions at sea or on land. Its full name is the Beaufort wind force scale
On review of the Beaufort scale descriptions, I would estimate my determination of 4 of 6 equivalent to the Beaufort number of about 5 of 13 (“fresh breeze” ; wind speed of 19-24 mph/ 29-38 km/hr).
Originally Posted by kbarch
Jim's 1-6 scale reminded me of the Beaufort scale, which goes to 12 (for hurricanes) - and I suspect the numbers are fairly close, seeing how a 6 on the Beaufort scale is a "strong breeze" of 25-31 mph. It isn't until you get to an 8 or a gale that twigs get snapped off and progress gets generally impeded.

I always liked the description of 5 on the Beaufort scale: Fresh Breeze. Sounds nice, but at 19-24 mph, above most cyclists' comfort range. Seems like many cyclists start to be dissuaded when there's anything more than a Gentle Breeze [8-12 mph].

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 01-13-20 at 04:55 AM.