View Single Post
Old 02-04-20, 05:40 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
A 50+ mile bike trail is being built through the middle of the Valley where I live. I see bikes on it constantly, at all hours of day and night, and the sections up to the far north of the valley haven’t been built yet. We took the kids to the local park on their bikes at the weekend, and they had to be careful not to crash into all the other kids riding bikes around.

I grew up in Ireland, where old rail trails and canal tow paths and greenways are constantly being paved for bicycle use, and a new stretch seems to open somewhere in the country nearly every day. Back in the 90s I was the odd one for wearing Lycra and going up the Wicklow hills on the weekend; now events like the Wicklow 200 and Ring of Kerry are oversubscribed. In a country not known for outdoor-friendly weather, numbers of tourists visiting to go on cycling/walking holidays are up by orders of magnitude.

Road cycling is certainly healthy in terms of participation, even if not everybody is actually racing.