Old 02-07-20, 07:56 AM
mikemjd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
I've installed both a 48/31 Shimano GRX chainset on a disc brake bike, my Canyon Endurace. I've also installed a 46/30 Absolute Black oval chainring set. I used a Shimano Ultegra 6800 crankset with the Absolute Black rings on a rim brake bike with SRAM Red eTap 2x11 drivetrain.

The Absolute Black chainring set worked well enough but had a few issues. The chainrings are set inward toward the derailleur providing a chainline that is different than OEM but not really a problem. I had to use all of the adjustment on the inner set screw to position the derailleur cage correctly. I found that the shifting of the chainrings was a little more fussy than the OEM chainrings and was audibly louder than OEM. I also dropped the chain once a day.

I transferred the chainrings and crankset to an Ultegra 6800 drivetrains and had far fewer problems. I don't think the Absolute Black chainrings were a good match with the electric shifting but was very good with Shimano mechanical shifting.

You could try to install the GRX crankset on a rim brake bike, it will install without modifications needed. You will need to use the matching GTX front derailleur. The chainline on the big-big combination will be extreme and should probably be avoided.
Thanks for getting back to me Barrettscv, sounds like you have some nice bikes! I'm going to add an electronic bike as soon as the right one comes up.

Going from what you've said, it sounds like the Absolute Black rings on my mechanical groupset would be the best idea, I do feel like I want to try the GRX setup up though.

It really is a surprise to me why more people don't ride these gears, especially in locations with so many great climbs.

Last edited by mikemjd; 02-07-20 at 01:41 PM.