Old 02-10-20, 12:39 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,805 Times in 1,802 Posts
Headset cup remover for ye olden 1993 Trek 5900 Chris King headset. That grunge on the tool came from gunk inside the head tube and steerer.

Who'd have guessed it might need attention after 27 years. It felt fine until January when I noticed some grinding in the steerer.

​​​​​ The fork wouldn't release so I used some penetrating oil and waited a couple of days. Kinda surprised how grungy it was. The previous owner used it for triathlons so I'm guessing that's from sweat dripping into the headset.

The top bearing unit was intact but the bottom unit a$$ploded when I tapped out the fork.

This remover tool for pressed cups was half the price of the Park tool and seems well made. No burrs along the leading edges or cuts of the expander.

The inner bearing race is still stuck to the steerer at the fork junction. Gotta pry that loose, carefully.

I'm gonna send the headset to King for servicing. Not sure but I think this unit was titanium. Sexy stuff in the early 1990s but probably not ideal. I think they've switched to aluminum and steel.

I thought about replacing it with a Cane Creek or Origin8 headset but King's estimate for repairs seemed reasonable.

Now I need a comparable good and cheap press tool to reinstall the headset.
Likes For canklecat: