View Single Post
Old 02-10-20, 05:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,099 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Sorry, I am terrible at B.S.ing people. As I stated the people riding are the issue not the vehicle. If you are going fast on a bike trail that is not a good thing but that is not the bikes fault it is the flesh bag on top. Yes if you collide with a cargo bike there is a better chance of injury for all but again spatial awareness will help. Also that cargo bike could be non electric and then where does that leave your argument about the attack of the killer e-bikes? A bike at a high speed amongst cyclists at non-high speeds can be more dangerous electric or not. What if I collide with a tri-bike and the extensions poke my eyes out and crack and I have carbon fibers stuck in my eye sockets or someone has a sweet new gravel bike and their spinning disc rotors that slice off my leg? My point stands, bikes can be dangerous but so can just about anything and we can come up with different scenarios where something bad can happen and that can control us.

Just like on a highway with a 18 wheeler you need to be aware. You cannot tell everyone in cars/trucks they must drive a Smart for two and have a limiter so people cannot go fast enough to cause serious injury.

Last point first --you are aware that there are many roads 18 wheelers are prohibited from, right? I'm not arguing for banning heavy powered cargo bikes, I want them kept off MUPs.

The issue with powered cargo bikes is that they can be heavy and fast. If you understand the math, the interaction of speed and weight is such that a heavy and fast vehicle packs a whole lot more kinetic energy than a heavy slow vehicle or a fast light vehicle. There are heavy pedal-powered cargo bikes, but I don't think it's plausible that a non-assisted human can propel a 600 pound cargo bike at 20+ mph.

You didn't run your bs detector on your own argument. Basically, you're claiming that it's up to other people on the path to avoid the unsuitable vehicle being ridden there. That argument justifies riding motorcycles on the paths and possibly small cars.
​​​
Likes For livedarklions: