Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by NorthboundRick
Appreciate the feedback!

I ride a lot and usually using good quality tires, like continental gatorskins are providing superb protection, but The amount of glass on the shoulders I have seen on Hawaii/big island was extreme. The only guess I have is that some recycling glass truck has lost it’s load. There was a section af about 15 Miles near the volcano national park which was just insane. Otherwise a very enjoyable trip.
Happy Riding, Rick
You know, I kinda wondered about that a bit, after I posted, regarding the glass there. Are you talking about naturally made glass, from being so close to the volcanoes? Most of us only ever deal with broken bottles & such, and my brain didn’t put that info into the picture. 😉

I never messed with Slime tubes until I got to Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona, land of the goat heads. These are nasty little thorns, that can flat out a “normal” tube & tire multiple times in a day. 🙁 I think the tire liners do the most good, and weigh very little. They’re like paper thin, but made of something really tough, like Kevlar, and they stop goat heads. 👍 The tubes are pretty cool too, but mostly you want those liners, with good tires. 🙂

BTW, the only place I’ve found them in stock, is Wal-Mart, and that’s not guaranteed. They sell out fast. 😉