View Single Post
Old 02-25-20, 06:15 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I occasionally use "protectant" on tires (auto & bike) & often bag them in my basement. I think they are safe & helpful

reminds me approx 10 yrs ago I bought a '70s road bike w/ the original tires. the guy wanted $25 I gave him $20 cuz it was a long drive. was gonna use this bike for commuting 34 miles round trip. I could see the tires were nasty & had some cracking but they held air & the tread looked rideable. chose a quiet Sunday for a test run. about 14 miles into the 17 mile leg, I started hearing popping sounds. it was the side wall cords shredding & one tire started to bulge in one spot. turned around & made it home

don't know if they make tires as tough as they used to, but at just under 11k miles, sounds like you already got your money's worth. no?
Your type of experince is why split rubber on tires are a safety no go for me. New tires are a lot cheaper than a trip to the hospital.

You're right, 10K+ miles out of bicycle tires is not bad at all. And I won't be going hungry becase I had to buy tires. On the other hand, I don't have money to burn, so as I mentioned earlier, I would like to get the full, safe tread life for my money.

Bagging is a good idea. But I ride year round, so it's not practical for me.