Old 02-26-20, 10:54 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony_G
UV protection and rubber protection is not magic. It is the science of chemistry. How well any particular product works varies. Especially for off label uses like bicycle tires. Which was the reason for my post to this forum full of experienced cyclists like you who enjoy sharing their knowledge and experience.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to be dismissive of your experience. I do think that a topical application would be of rather limited efficacy for protecting against UV and ozone damage, and then only for the sidewalls. (I am a chemistry professor, fwiw.)

Out of curiosity, what tires are you running, and what is their average life in miles?
Currently, Compass/Rene Herse. I get about 2 or 3K with the slicks, until the tread wears thin. In the past I have run GP4000 II which lasted about the same (possibly less) and Clements, which lasted about 2K before the kevlar started to show through.

My current tires are gumwalls, which would be more vulnerable to ozone and UV damage on the sidewalls, but haven't run into that issue.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 02-26-20 at 10:57 AM.