View Single Post
Old 03-28-20, 08:35 PM
alank2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Please recommend a hybrid bike for me...

It has been about 25 years since I've mountain biked - a friend used to take me on a lot of different trails and it was a good time. I'm pushing 50 now (male) and looking for more exercise, but probably just going to ride around my neighborhood for the most part, it has some hilliness, but nothing extreme. My goal is really exercise and if I can get myself in the habit, I'd probably want to use it once or twice a week for an hour or so. I want to get more bank for the buck generally speaking. I don't mind assembling or maintaining a bike, but even so I'd rather have simple with less maintenance if given a choice.

I'm not looking to spend much, 200-300 better, but I'd go 400, but at the same time I hate buying something that isn't worth paying for. I started by looking at some Schwinn hybrids at Walmart and they had one for $200: They also had this for $300 but it looks like it has a Shimano shifters/derailleur. Then I saw a Schwinn Vantage F3 at Amazon for $500 which is really more than I want to spend.

Then with some more searching I found bikesdirect and they have these:

$259 - gravity swift 7
$299 - gravity swift 21
$399 - gravity swift 8

The swift 8 has a Shimano Nexus 8 hub which I find interesting, but don't know much about.

I realize that shopping for a used bike can yield a better value, but I don't want to do the work of waiting for the right deal so I'd rather buy new.

Questions:

#1 - Given the way I plan to use it, would a 7 or 8 speed be less complication and fine for what I'm trying to do with it.
#2 - I read some reviews of bikesdirect and it sounds like there are people on both sides of recommending or not recommending them.
#3 - Of the ones above, any thoughts?
#4 - Thoughts about other models I've not listed?

Thanks for the help!