Old 04-03-20, 08:09 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Yes, randonneurs have been using these setups for years for good reason, but there have been very few standard options until the recent gravel craze. It's just always puzzled me that I'm sort of an average recreational cyclists, not too fast or too slow, I ride my bike a few hundred miles a week in the summer, but I still don't have enough power to push a compact crank and a narrow cassette without cross-chaining most of the time and mashing up hills in a too-high low gear. I've just always thought that was odd. I've come to the conclusion that most people don't care about narrow spacing and have no problem using a wide-ratio cassette to get low gears.
The reality is, that at the speeds many recreational riders actually go, there is little to no difference between a 11-34 and a 11-28. As noted before the 11-34 is actually better, or the same, up to about 25 mph assuming standard road tyres and a 50/34 or 52/36 and about 90 rpm.

Bicycle Gear Calculator

Im sure thats the reason very few complain about the supposed vide gear spacing of a 11-34 - Its not noticeable unless you are very fast and often ride 52/14 or above.
Likes For Racing Dan: