View Single Post
Old 04-03-20, 01:21 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 598 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
This is a common complaint that I think may depend on the shoes. I have 5 pairs of these pedals and none of them squeak. A friend of mine says his squeak with is Lakes but not his Sidis. In any case, I'd get rid of mine if they squeaked too. Other than hold the pedal at the same angle at stops, I don't think the platforms do anything either.
I'm sure that does have something to do with it. I primarily used them with Shimano RT82 shoes. I also tried them with my Pearl Izumi MTB shoes, and those were less creaky, but still made noise. I've since gotten some Shimano RP5 with hard soles. Those might be better but I haven't tried the combo.

Part of the issue might be my vintage pedaling style. I started riding during the clips and strap with slot cleats and big gears era. I still pedal 360º including pulling up, mostly on climbs and small steep rises. If I just spun all the time and didn't pull up ever I wouldn't have this issue. Too old to learn new tricks though. Plus, I mostly ride in hills, because the flat parts of socal have too many cars.

I had assumed the Shimano RT82 'touring' shoes were the matching shoes for the PD A600 pedals, and that since it was Shimano it would be a well engineered system. Not this time.

Let me add that even aside from the creaking issues, I prefer the Xpedo pedals overall.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 04-03-20 at 01:39 PM.