Thread: Culture change
View Single Post
Old 04-04-20, 12:27 AM
Leisesturm

Liked 919 Times in 628 Posts
China was Ground Zero of this thing. They couldn't have seen it coming. But they snapped into action and will be o.k. South Korea, Singapore and Japan were saved by one thing: mask wearing is socially acceptable and a large percent of the public is masked at any one time. This more than anything slowed spread of the virus. The contact tracing was possible because spread was not scattershot like in Western Countries where mask wearing is stigmatized. As I understand it, ventilators are a last resort. An absolute last resort. In China the survival rate of ventilator patients was 1 in 10!! So far in the U.S. it is running about 1 in 5. That is mainly because there is so little data in the US on anything related to this outbreak. I can't blame Ford or GM for not being more gung ho about having been conscripted to make ventilators when they are mainly going to serve as hospice equipment. Before the Coronavirus hit, and in the middle of an unprecedented period of growth in the U.S. economy, well over 200 healthy Americans were committing suicide due to the outrageously unbalanced income and opportunity divide. I've heard of rats chewing off a foot to get out of a trap. America just chewed off everything below the waist. We will be debating the wisdom of such extreme measures for at least the next 5 years.