View Single Post
Old 04-04-20, 05:25 AM
elcyc

Bikes: Gary Fisher Advance (1993, heavily modded); Fuji Absolute 2.0 (2010; modded); 1989 Miyata 512 (58cm; $50, thrift buy); KHS Classic (63cm, 12-spd); Schwinn World Sport (58cm); Schwinn Voyageur (58cm); 1987 Centurion Ironman (60cm); etc.

Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott
for some reason I kept two pairs of tires from the mid 80's; the one set is made by Silver Star, but I'm not sure if that was the real manufacture of just some brand they slapped on the tire, these tires are in excellent condition with no cracking even starting, I could ride on those today without a problem; the other set is so badly cracked I can no longer make out the branding label and I don't remember either, that set I wouldn't dare ride on. Both sets were stored exactly the same, so why did one set crack up and the other is fine? I don't know unless there was something different in the compositions of the two sets, maybe one set was more on the nature side and the other more on the synthetic side?.
I think about automotive rubber... esp. door/trunk gaskets and seals. These are in somewhat shielded, protected areas. But durability can vary quite a bit depending on formulation, etc.