View Single Post
Old 04-04-20, 10:44 AM
63rickert

Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
I still have my seventh birthday bike, a 1959 Schwinn. The front tire is OEM Goodyear. Can’t be sure the inner tubes are original but they are both Goodyear and much patched. And they match. Generations of family and neighborhood kids grew up on that bike. Still holds air and rides well. Now used only on my birthday, cautiously.

A friend who collects has large stocks of singletube tire eighty to one hundred twenty years old. He rides them. Obviously he does not push those old tires too hard, but they still work.

Another friend recently found a 1950s Continental tubular while sorting through his boxes of Ochsner memorabilia. That tire is currently in use and has done over a thousand miles.

When comparing old and new bear in mind that the quality of everything has been in freefall a long time. Some, not all, new tires are “better” because at higher price points there is a limit to how cheap you can go. Current high end tires really are quite good. Tires from twenty thirty or forty years back are mostly pretty horrible and were when new.