Old 04-05-20, 01:32 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
The actual fatality rate is far lower, because the actual number of coronavirus cases is far higher. For every person diagnosed with the virus, at least 10 other people are carrying it. As half of people who contract the virus do not get sick, and show no symptoms, and most of the rest do not get sick enough to bother seeing a doctor or visit a hospital, the actual number of cases is vastly larger. Here in Japan and most other places, only those who are showing strong symptoms, and have other health problem which put them at risk are tested for coronavirus.

The virus is transmitted just like the common cold or flu, it is transmitted mainly by hand. Someone coughs or sneezes and wipes their nose or mouth with their hands, and then they open a door, or touch something, leaving the virus behind. You touch the door handle or something else, yawn, and wipe your hand across your face, and the virus is transmitted to you. In Tokyo, the train and subway systems see 40,000,000 (40 million) rides every weekday. Despite the close proximity, viruses don't seem to be transmitted so easily in Tokyo as people expect. During the SARS outbreak a decade ago, Japan was prepared for the worst, and expected a large number of cases. But they never materialized.

An interesting thing which began in Japan at that time was the placing of hand sanitizers in public places. They could be found in all shops, stores, schools, stations, and such. When the SARS epidemic ended, the hand sanitizers remained, and many people have made it a habit to use them, particularly in flu season. In my condominium building, there is a large bottle of hand sanitizer at every entrance, and all people are encouraged to use these whenever they enter or leave the building. This being the main allergy season, millions of Japanese would be wearing face masks even if there were no Coronavirus outbreak. Masks are not much good at keeping the virus out, but they do prevent you from easily touching your nose, and if you are carrying the virus, they make it harder for you to communicate it.

Keep your hands clean, keep them away from your face, and don't mix with other people if you can help it.
I am on my third week of stay at home. I have very limited contact with more than one or two people at a time. I wash my hands, have supplies and cleaners, gloves and some masks. What I am concerned about is once the government has picked a villain and several states have decided it is people from large urban areas. They are placing restrictions on those specific people by proclamation. Such a condemnation could very easily leave a social scar that takes a long time to heal. Even if it spreads to rural America the blame will have been established. It seems as if we have decided being close to other people is dangerous. I have friends in California that are in complete shutdown. One of the main draws for the state is it's beaches, parks and hiking trails. They are being closed and people are getting tickets for going there at all. https://calmatters.org/health/corona...-gavin-newsom/ Even in the Urban areas people are trying to avoid mass transit because of social distancing requirements. I simply don't believe we will escape a social change when this is over. But that is something we will not have to wait long to see. My perception anyway.