View Single Post
Old 04-14-20, 11:33 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Germanrazor
And I am just waiting for bass boats to drop drastically in price....LOL!
If you are in the US check pricing in Canada. Then run the conversion with the exchange rate (changes daily, but usually not by much). You may be surprised. You will have to pay import duties, but the exchange rate can make enough of a difference. The kicker - if you are not paying cash and need financing very few US banks will lend to a dealer in another country, and you'll likely need a personal loan and not a boat loan. However - the numbers can work in your favor. I've seen it happen and was researching this very idea not too long ago. We have deep roots up there, though, going back to the '40's, so its a different ballgame than just crossing the border to play the exchange game. That isn't to say you can't.

I bought my Edge 1000 on the same "garmin game" - new model coming out so they blew out all the previous generation. It does way more than I was wanting originally, however it was a good buy and I've been relatively happy with it. The more I've used it the more I like it - especially the ride uploads to Strava and the smart notifications. That took me a couple years to get to using, but it is nice to have.