Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
ɅɅɅɅ

What happened to Kirtland bike bags?
Originally Posted by BigAura
I was backpacker in the 60's & 70's. In 1978 I heard about bicycle touring and became intrigued. I saved up and purchased a full Kirkland pannier set for my ParisSport 10-speed. In May 1979 I quit my job and hit-the-road. For a little more than three months I rode up & down the eastern US.

Originally Posted by edthesped
Lovin the Daisy Dukes!! Ahh the 70's... Please don't ever let the 70's styles return. 81 was my first tour, Bavaria, and if I remember correctly I rode in jeans or maybe even Daisy Dukes myself.
To further this trip down Memory Lane, I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
My wife and I crossed the country in 1977 from LA to Washington DC. Some of the now-old-fashioned elements as I recall:

Hairnet helmets, woolen bike shorts, jogging suits for colder weather, toe clips, paper maps, phone booths for calls; sent post cards; for cash we used travelers checks and had money orders wired to us at various post offices. We were not into photography, so instead of an SLR film camera, we had a Kodak Instamatic.

To track mileage we had a mechanical odometer with a metallic striker affixed to a spoke. For lights we used those strap on D-cell battery powered lights with a front yellow and rear red lenses.

We rode Merciers, model not recalled, with sew-up tires and fully loaded rear panniers (not recommended)…

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-02-20 at 10:30 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston: