Old 05-06-20, 03:40 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Not a fan of the Oz Cyclist's casual handling of gasoline. His workbench has visible electrical outlets and it's a good bet there are other ignition sources nearby. That vapor can spread quickly and linger (it's affected by humidity, barometric pressure, etc.). One errant spark and you're surrounded by flame. Even if it goes out quickly there's a risk of igniting another open container, or panicking and knocking over another container.

As a safety inspector I've seen the demonstrations of how quickly this stuff can get bad, both in classroom demos and in real life fatality investigations. And a family friend burned himself to death using gasoline to either start a BBQ or ignite a burn pile, I forget which -- witnesses said he tried to splash more gas on a lighted fire and even from a distance of several feet it followed him back and ignited the open container I've investigated similar incidents in workplace injuries and fatalities. So while gasoline/petrol can be an effective solvent/degreaser, it must be handled with extreme caution and great respect for the risks.

If you want the slickness of wax without the hassles of stripping the original chain lube/grease, and don't need chains so clean you can eat off them, try Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry or Gold.

I'm a fan of wax, used it for two bikes for a couple of years. It's slick and clean. My bikes live indoors and I have three cats, so I wanted to reduce my shin tattoos and furball cattoos. Wax is great for that. And re-waxing isn't a big chore after stripping the original lube. There's no need to use solvent again. I think the Oz Cyclist has modified his methods and just uses boiling water or something like that to clean the chain between re-waxing. I don't even do that -- I just dunk the chain in the melted wax and occasionally skim the residue off the top.

But earlier this year I had to clear out my apartment so the old carpet could be replaced with laminate flooring. I put away the solvents, bars of Gulf wax, crock pot, etc., and couldn't remember which carton I put 'em in. I wanted to get back to riding ASAP, so I grabbed a bottle of Rock 'n' Roll Absolute Dry, based on tests by Friction Facts/Ceramic Speed which reported both RnR Absolute Dry and Gold were as slick as wax.

After a couple of months I can confirm -- RnR is very slick. It's easy to apply -- just drizzle it on generously. Lasts a few rides per application -- I ride 20-50 miles per ride, so I usually re-apply every 2 or 3 rides. The chain gets a little noisier after 50-100 miles but so far I've never run it completely dry and squeaky, even after being caught in the rain.

Drawbacks? It's only a little cleaner than typical oily wet lubes. Rock 'n' Roll appears to use mostly naphtha as a solvent/carrier for PTFE ("Teflon"). Gold supposedly adds some oil. The black gunk that dribbles out is typical road grime. It does seem to clean and lube in one step. And it seems to work better over time, presumably as the RnR gradually displaces the original lube, without needing a specific cleaning step.

No matter how much I wipe the chain there's still a slight black grime on my fingers even when the chain looks clean. But not as bad as oily wet lubes. And it seems to resist picking up road grit -- that's always a problem with oil lubes.

Anyway, I found my chain waxing stuff so I'll probably use it again. Already have the solvent cleaners (no gasoline, but I do have mineral spirits, acetone, methyl alcohol). I use them only outdoors away from any ignition sources.

But I'm gonna stick with Rock 'n' Roll awhile longer. I'm about to switch one bike from RnR Absolute Dry to Gold, just to see how it compares. Both are pricey for what's in 'em -- apparently just naphtha and PTFE powder, so I could make my own since I already have that stuff.
Likes For canklecat: