View Single Post
Old 05-08-20, 07:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 4,172 Times in 2,793 Posts
Originally Posted by Rider_1
It's a two way street. I don't like when I go into a store just to browse and see how their prices compare to other stores, and some salesperson glues themselves to me and won't let go, even when I tell them straight away that I am not buying at the moment. I understand that good customer service is to acknowledge the customer and see if they need or want any assistance, but when they say no, beat it. This is the main reason that I use online instead of in person, because almost every LBS seems disadainful of anyone whom they feel isn't going to buy something on the spot. It reeks of desperation. Just don't waste all that time on them. Let them come in, see if they need help, and proceed accordingly.

The worst experience was when my GF was looking for her first road bike, and we made it very clear, immediately, that she was just starting the process of learning about bikes, prices, and what was available. She was not buying on the spot, and we were upfront about it, yet the guy wouldn't leave us alone. No matter how we deflected, he was relentless, and the longer it went, the more his attitude changed. By the time we were moving to leave, he was borderline aggressive/rude. I assume that his business wasn't doing well but man, it turned us off. It was a large city with plenty of options so he completely lost us as potential future customers, even though he was very close and convenient.
Of course, but we get a lot of people who never have any intention to buy ever and just want someone to chat with for a while. Folks who are just starting the search or looking for info because they are interested in something is just fine and I am happy to help them and get them started.

A lot of people love to come in to the shop take up our time for free and then buy whatever online as well and that is downright rude and disrespectful. I had one guy do it too the point he screwed himself out of warranty to initially save $200 on a 6k purchase he ended up spending a lot more than that to get the problem fixed which would have been covered under warranty from the bike manufacturer and from Bosch. He than had the gaul to get mad at us because he didn't get his warranty and tried to pass off a fake receipt from a unauthorized dealer even though he bought he bike on eBay.