Old 05-11-20, 01:28 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Oneder
Yeah I think the same. Also though when you are bigger like me the low gearing is nice for going down hills or you are just spinning away to no effect.
I hear ya. On my cassettes I've sacrificed the ultimate high gear ratios in exchange for more mid-range fine shifts, the penalty for which is that on steep enough downhills I sacrifice a couple mph before spinning out. Oh well.

I learned to think a little differently about gearings and relationship to cadence and whatnot during this discussion. I've always read the comments from guys who claim to really need those 53/11t combos, and I've struggled to understand why if they're not racing or just trying to maximize their downhill speeds. It finally occurred to me that folks who mash along at, say, 75 rpm when I'd be at 95 rpm are going to be a good 2-3 cogs further down the cassette than me. I'll be on my #4 or #5 cog and they're nearing the end of the cassette. The gearings needed and how they're used are intrinsically related, and not everyone does it the same, which is fine.

Btw, it's actually kind of funny how the conversation veered and OP bemoaned that we were reading way too much into his original questions. The problem is, his original questions were, for the most part, fairly vague, and lacked any indicator of what he was trying to accomplish or why he thought he wasn't already accomplishing it with is present gearing. I mean, he's already at 11t in the rear, stated his usual speed was 12-14 mph, and wants "taller" gears. Taller than what, first of all, but secondly, how small must his big ring have had to be not to be sufficient in combination with an 11t in his usual 12-14 mph range, or even his high-end 20mph max? How this played out in this thread is understandable. He doesn't seem to know what he wants or why he wants it, but I hope he finds it.

Last edited by SethAZ; 05-11-20 at 01:36 PM.
Likes For SethAZ: