View Single Post
Old 05-18-20, 10:02 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 2,065 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
I tried listen to the podcast but I found that most of the discussions revolved around things I wasn't interested in at the time (not bad things, just not where I'm at). Ever since I heard that Team SKY (now Team INEOS) traveled to races with mattresses so their team gets a better night sleep (which is genius!), I was hooked on the idea that it's the sum of the little things that really matter and should be pursued.

For me, small improvements make me happy where as many could care less (as some have stated in their responses to this post). For example, one of my other projects is to cut the length of the shift and hydraulic cables my bike to eliminate all the extra slack. Does my bike work as-is right now? Yes it does, but the bike looks like it has a rat's nest forming in front of the handlebar. Not only is that ugly, but the extra cables and hoses are not very aero, are a few extra grams on the bike that add no value, and the extra hose and cable length result in more friction than necessary to get the job done. Taking the hour to reduce the hose and cable lengths seems like non-sense to many, but is something I notice right away and appreciate.
I can certainly see where marginal gains, especially in weight would help around Holy Hill where you live. Here in MKE not so much.