Thread: Hiding a Bike
View Single Post
Old 05-25-20, 01:53 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor, Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Hiding a Bike

I plan to do a lot more whitewater canoeing this year. The problem with canoeing on moving water is that it’s usually a one way trip. And, with all the rules about distancing it will be even less likely than usual that shuttling will work. So, I decided to get an old beater bike to hide near the take-out point. My DW, failing to understand that N+1 is always a good thing, suggested that one of the less used bikes in the stable get to serve this function.

I figured that wasn’t too much of a concession as the thought of riding a true beater for a number of km. Back to the launch point was really less than appealing. I have pretty much decided on my older aluminum Allez. It’s kind of mid sized so either the DW or I can ride it. But it is worth a few hundred bucks so, even though there’s not a lot of theft around here, I an looking for tips about locking and hiding it.

Of course, if dirt roads are involved I may have to use my fat bike or my Stump Jumper, either of which are more likely to attract thieves, so the hiding and locking are even more important!