View Single Post
Old 06-05-20, 11:15 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 674 Posts
Welcome killybatz , these look like nice bikes, however, my first glance at them is that these are more racing/sport oriented and you were looking for a commuter and longer distance bike.

The first thing that I look for is eyelets on the front fork end and the rear dropout (where the axle is mounted). The two bikes that you listed don't have them and therefore my thinking is that these are racing/sport bikes, not meant for racks or bags. That doesn't mean that you cannot commute on these bikes.

Touring and communing bikes have longer wheelbases, a little more comfortable geometry and eyelets for mounting racks and fenders. And clearance to mount fenders and/or fit fatter tires.

If it were me, look for something inexpensive (and traditional steel) for a first bike. Brands like Trek, Fuji, Schwinn, Panasonic, Miyata, Nishiki will sometime yield some undervalued bikes.

You can really commute on anything and we may have some members chime on on what type of bike makes a good commuter and touring bike.

Our members are good at looking at online sales and pointing out good buys. If you post where you live, you might get some help there too.