Old 06-09-20, 10:37 PM
realsorryman
I just bought a bike

Bikes: Vintage TREK model 610? from 1981

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Vintage TREK - I would like some opinions

hello... is this thing on...

So I was looking for a road bike with class and character. I didn't think i was going to fall down a vintage trek rabbit hole but here I am. This was a get from a nice chap on the internet very local to where I am in the world. The story is that he had received it from a friend but it was too small for him and he rode his other, bigger bike more often so he was selling this one.

From my slightly more than cursory but certainly less than exhaustive research I can glean from the SN (009240 A) that we are dealing with a 19" Trek 610 from 1981

All of the hardware APPEARS to be stock (except the back tire, and saddle):
SunTour VX GT derailleurs,
SR Crank set,
DiaCompe Brakes and callipers,
SR Pedals,
Sunshine Gyromaster Hubs,
Rigida Alloy 27" Rims,
SR Custom champion something something for the Bars and stem.

I don't know what a freewheel is or where to find it( forgive me I have only just learned literally all of this terminology in the last 12 hours.

There seem to be 2 gears on the front set of gears and 6 gears on the back wheel. So I guess its a 610? NO CLUE

It is dirty and certainly rusty in spots on the frame. the pitting does not look too bad and structurally it all feels great for being a bike made 50 freaking years ago.

REALLY WHAT IM ASKING IS WHAT do you think I SHOULD DO WITH IT and HOW

I would love to do is to take it apart, give every piece a good clean, treat some rusty spots, get new tires, replace some of the smaller chrome bits that are flaking, new chain, handle bar tape, lights, mirrors, little bell, AND THEN PUT IT ALL BACK TOGETHER.

The only problem with this is that I kind of want to ride it!
I don't think I can afford to do this (right now) and I KNOW I will screw something up putting it all back together. But something deep in me REALLY wants to try.

What I will probably do is take it to a local bike shop, have them tell me what is just no good, what is salvageable and what is in good working order, have them put on a new tire, make sure its all good and stuff and then send me on my way.

My questions are: Where do I get some chrome bits that might be flaking or is it even worth it? should I .... upgrade the thing to have modern components? should I treat it like a museum showpiece and restore as best I can and never ride it? cargo rack? fenders? mirrors?

I'm really smitten with the thing and I know if left to my own devices I will ruin it. I just want like a LITTLE bit of guidance.

hope everyone is staying safe and well and righteous this time of year.

check the pics

PEACE

no sticker some nicks and scratches

seat is not stock but it werks

new brake pads looks like...

new brown thing that covers the brakes..HOW DOES ONE EVEN GET THIS ON?

i love these rims so much but I would love to clean them?

is it a good one? is it a bad one? i do not know!

i looked it up and this shop is gone? bummer 4 real

SN and some rust

pretty rusty and grimy but doesn't seem bent or broken

the shifters work