View Single Post
Old 06-15-20, 01:10 PM
Onfixiate
ABQ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hey Sammy76, that looks good. It's definitely better for the drop out, if the axle loading is closer to where the seat and chain stay centerlines would intersect. Also, the left side of the axle won't pop out of the slot, if the axle moves under load. (The rear drop outs on my Wabi do not have retaining tabs to keep the wheel from popping out)
As the drivetrain wears, you will now have a more comfortable margin to adjust the chain tension. I put all new drivetrain parts on my Wabi Special during our "Stay at home" orders. I've now put about 300 miles on the new parts, and everything runs very smoothly. Here's a pic of the half-link chain. You can see that the link has outer plates that are bent inward to create an inner plate. On a conventional chain, when you remove a link, you are actually removing a longer segment of chain---an inner and an outer segment. The half link style chain allows a finer adjustment when setting chain length. This 3/32" chain is a silver KMC Z610HX -----bought it from Wabi.

I ran a Flip flop setup for a while, but I found that I used the 18T cog 99% of the time, and when I flipped the wheel, the drivetrain wasn't as smooth, 'cause the 2nd cog was still basically "new" and was paired with much higher wear on the chain and chainring.

Last edited by Onfixiate; 06-15-20 at 01:19 PM.