View Single Post
Old 06-18-20, 09:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4526 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,830 Posts
Originally Posted by ulstoft
Dear Touring Community,

Frame: Reynolds 525 frame (700c Wheels) size 57
Rear Mech: Shimano Deore XT RD-T8000 SGS
Front Mech: Shimano Deore XT FD-T8000
Cassette: Custom Shimano 11-34 10 speed
Shift Levers: Shimano Deore XT SL-T8000
Chainset: Shimano FC-MT300 175mm cranks 44-32-22t Shimano XT T8000 cranks 48-36-26T or if I need lower gears the XT level M782. I would never put tourney on a bike if I absolutely was set on having square taper I would go Sugino Alpina II cranks (I am using currently on my touring bike)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore XT BB-MT800 I would do the Hope 24mm Bottom Bracket (since you are across the pond) nothing wrong with the XT but the Hope is nicer.
Chain: KMC X10
Wheels: Handbuilt Bitex 101 hubs Ryde Sputnik Rims 36 spokes. Me personally I would go White Industries MI5 hubs for rim brakes or CLD for discs but I haven't used or seen Bitex in the wild. I would most certainly do a SON dynamo
Bk Levers: Shimano Deore BL-R780. I would go Paul Components Love Levers if sticking with cable brakes
Brakes: Shimano Deore BR-T610 (Juin Tech M1s) Paul again with the Motolites if I was sticking with rim brakes. If disc brakes I would go Hope RX4s (again across the pond) and probably an XT Shimano lever if flat bar or go with TRP Spykes if wanting cable brakes with a longer pull.
Pedals: Flat Black ​​​​​​​Shimano PD-T8000s (probably the best touring pedals I have used)
Clips Straps: NA
Saddle: Brooks B17 Brown Seat post: Ergotec 5 Brooks C17 does not require a break in period comes in an all-weather version and doesn't require the slaughter of animals to make.
Rear rack: Axiom Journey Low loader: Tubus Tara For the rear Tubus Logo Evo or Cargo Evo is an excellent rack super durable and lightweight
Handlebars: Ergotec 5 630mm You can more easily get the Koga Denham bar over there (lucky b...) it is an excellent flat touring bar with multiple hand positions
Handlebar Grips: Ergon GP5L If you go with the Denham or similar slightly swept back bar the Ergon GC1s are the way to go.
Bar ends Ergon GP5L
Bar Tape NA
Stem: Ergotec 4 110mm Black Potentially you might need a different stem length for the Denham bars and certainly would need the right clamp diameter or at least good high quality shim
Spacers: 55+20
Headset: Cane Creek 40 Series 110 is nicer or since you are across the pond buy local and get a Hope pick and mix headset.
Mudguards: Flinger F50
Tyres: Continental Contact Plus 700 x 32 Go wide 700x38 or wider please.
Inner tubes: Schwalbe
Valves: Schraeder I prefer presta valves but not a massive issue.
Kickstand: Pletscher Single
Stickers: Trad Black
Headbadge: transfer

Extras:
. SON28 dynamo hub with Velocharger USB plug and B&M 60 Lux front light
. Tubus Tara front pannier carrier (Or Aluminium alternative)
. Upgrade to Brooks B17 Brown leather saddle
. Supply and fit Pletscher single leg kickstand
, Ergon GP5 Grips
. Shimano PD-EH500 dual purpose pedals
. Upgrade to Continental Touring Plus tyres 700 x 35
. Mirrycle Mountain bike mirror

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I crossed out stuff I would skip right away and added new text in bold. I will say GO DYNAMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't do it initially on my touring bike and it is a regret of mine because I installed it later down the road and I could have had a frame and fork designed to handle it right away without having to drill myself (or should I say have our master tech drill it) I could have done the SL version and been even happier. If you are going B+M just get the LUXOS U it is brighter and has USB charging otherwise go with the IQ-X at the front and Toplight Line Brake Plus at the rear with the Cinq Plug5 charger which has a power bank built into it for better charging for todays "smart" devices and looks much cleaner.

In terms of tubing I would ideally go 725 though 525 is a fine lower cost option, it is just made in Taiwan to Reynolds spec.

Make sure though this bike is going to work for you. Certainly the most important things are touch points (saddles, pedals, handlebars, grips/tape) but also gear ratios. As long as you get really high quality stuff throughout you will be fine and have a super long lasting bike.