Old 06-27-20, 10:05 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 381 Posts
Originally Posted by quindecima
And what about the wheels, should I re-lace the rims or get new wheels?
Are your wheels through axle/disc brake wheels? If they aren't you will need new wheels. Given that your parts bike is NOT an up-to-the-minute bike it is unlikely that your wheels will work. But new wheels for that will cost $$$, even building yourself. I think I saw the ebay frame you are looking at and for $399 it looks nice, but you'll be hard pressed to build it up for much less than a complete bike even at the low frame price. You MAY be able to find parts cheap, but you won't be able to find a complete set of parts cheap. They are all too modern. An older frame, say 5-10 years old will take parts that are ubiquitous out there, but a newer one takes very specific parts that you won't find used or heavily discounted. You'll need BB, wheels, disc brakes, crank, whatever shifting setup you want. It'll cost.

When I built up an older bike I looked for v-brakes, QR, reused my BB, built my wheels, XT 10sp shifting. All were readily available used or discounted new as it was already old news.