View Single Post
Old 06-28-20, 10:50 PM
Sealth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Planning for first hardtail

I'm planning on getting my first mountain bike, and I need some help navigating the scene.

I'll be doing some mild/medium trail riding and winter commuting with the bike. I want to spend as little as possible initially, ideally less than $1000. I think a hardtail perfectly suits my purposes, plus I like how they look. I want something I can continuously upgrade and still be happy with in 5+ years.

What "tech" really makes a difference and what parts of the bike should I prioritize with my initial purchase?

In terms of maximizing quality vs. money, should I hunt around on craigslist for a deal on an older bike and upgrade the components, should I buy a new complete and upgrade the components over time, or should I buy new parts separately and build the bike up from scratch?

I come from a singlespeed/fixed gear background where older is sometimes "better" or at least more fun. However I feel the same is not true for mountain biking as the bikes have been developing rapidly. For example, I almost feel like a brand new $500 2020 hardtail is fundamentally a better bike than a brand new $1000 2010 hardtail. Is this true?