View Single Post
Old 07-02-20, 02:48 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 96 Posts
I've never seen stack/reach ratio before. I like that the one # allows us to get an idea of rider position. Remember that this is just frame measurements. One of two bikes with the same stack/reach ratio could have handlebar grips that are over 10" higher then the other with different bars and stems. Different seat post seat back can add to the reach as well. If their both drop bar bikes and use nearly flat handlebar stems like many do, Then IMO it is worth noting. But of course we really should test ride these bikes first.

My Giant Sedona has a stack/reach ratio of 1.79:1. Add to that a 40 degree stem and low rise bars and I get handlebar grips that are 8" above the seat. I love this bolt upright position. Needless to say it isn't fast so I wouldn't recommend one for medium - long commutes. But for recreational riders like myself, Or for short commutes, It's the most pleasurable bike I've ever owned. I think Gravel and Endurance bikes also have a higher stack/reach ratio then racing bikes.

The "10 speed racer" I had 45 years ago had a much lower stack, Longer reach, and of course drop bars. I don't remember it being uncomfortable though. One things for sure, It was much faster.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 07-02-20 at 03:02 PM.