Old 07-16-20, 04:52 PM
mtseymour

Bikes: 2022 Calfee Tetra, 2023 Giant TCR

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twocicle
The big "gotcha" with the rear calipers is when they require a banjo fitting. Shimano only has this fitting factory installed on hoses up to maybe 2000mm which is just a touch too short for our tandems. The Jagwire Pro kit mentioned above does have a banjo fitting which is one reason why we use it on our mtb tandem. A new solution to this issue is to get a hose coupler to join a standard rear Shimano BH90 hose (w/banjo factory installed) to a supplemental length of hose running to your levers. Otherwise, more recently there are a few after-market banjo fittings becoming available, mostly from China and posted on eBay. Amazon is also showing some postings but limited availability.
The banjo is an unexpected complication. I didn't realize that Shimano crimps the banjo at the factory. I came across the Jagwire Quick-Fit option, but the TRP hose coupler is a good alternative because it's easier to combine two hoses rather than use an extra-long hose. Thanks for the tip.

I'm currently figuring out all the pieces (disc fork, shifters, brakes, wheels) for a conversion to hydraulic disc brakes for our Calfee.