Standalone 
The Drive Side is Within

Bikes: Road, Cargo, Tandem, Etc.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by gear64
Who knows? I see this within the same metro region. For me it's the difference between urban and suburban. And with suburban, I'm not even talking about getting on the major arteries, people just generally seem more intolerant of anything that causes them to deviate from their current speed and track. I know there are people that perceive the city to be unsafe. Honestly, maybe it's familiarity, but I don't feel unsafe in areas life long suburban dwellers would feel uncomfortable due to crime rate or perceived crime rate. It varies quite a bit by neighborhood. I would say threatened by bad actors or motorists in the city: 0 in recent memory, I don't recall anything blatant ever, but 40+ yrs is a long time for making an accurate absolute statement. Threatened by motorists in suburbs: lost count of minor infractions years ago (multiple per year), 3 significant infractions, 1 I would consider attempted assault. I'm only counting things I believe to be intentional. There's certainly some incidental things, very few relatively, that have happened in urban setting; but last summer two folks, two separate incidences actually went out of their way to apologize for a 'near miss' they perceived to be their fault. I'm not talking about a sheepish wave, I mean along the lines of 'I'm so sorry I really didn't see you there.' or 'Dude, I didn't realize you coming so fast my bad.'
I think maybe the LI drivers have enough experience driving in the City that they don’t act like suburban CT drivers do.

I cycle in Bridgeport and New Haven often for pleasure and for commuting. And it is the suburban towns where I feel — with reasons and experiences
like yours — much less safe.

I did have one bad experience in New Haven when a driver rolled his window down, pointed at me, and said “sidewalk.” I pointed at him and said two words back about where he belonged. My assumption about his homophobia was correct. The ensuing curb jumping chase was a bit scary. Luckily we turned a corner to a taped off police investigation of a shooting. So I was safe lol

Last edited by Standalone; 07-18-20 at 12:53 PM.
Likes For Standalone: