Old 07-25-20, 02:44 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Sell R5, get Caledonia - would you do this?

Disclaimer - yeah, yeah, i am going to make the decision myself. I just want to hear people's thoughts to see if there is a perspective i have not considered.

I have a very nice, fully tricked out Venge. I was looking to get a second training bike to go with it, for days when i just wanted to get some rides in, explore roads of unknown quality, etc. or to take with me on travel. At the time, i got a great deal on an R5 frameset and so picked it up. In hindsight, though, I think i would have been better off with something that is capable of taking wider tires, for all the reasons above. As it stands, the R5 and the Venge both fit the same use case and be used interchangeably.

So now i have the opportunity to sell the R5 frameset and get a Caledonia. Not the Caledonia 5 - that's more money than i want to spend for the Second Bike. Logically, it makes sense:
+ takes 34mm wheels, and so does a better job of meeting my requirements for a training/travel bike
+ same geometry as a road bike, so it wont handle too differently

On the other hand, my concerns:
- the R5 is just an awesome,awesome ride. I will be taking a step down with a Caledonia-series bike, as opposed to a Caledonia 5. How much, though?
- supposedly not as stiff as the R5

My brain says sell the R5, get the Caledonia. My heart says keep the R5.

WWYD?

(Cant keep both. Between my wife and I, we have 6 bikes at home right now, with 2 more in the pipeline for her and a Pegoretti in my not-too-distant future. That's a ridiculous number of bikes).

Last edited by guadzilla; 07-25-20 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Typos