guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
As someone who has recently purchased an R3, the Caledonia hit me in the feels, too. That said, my initial reaction is that it's a big expense for a few tweaks relative to the R-series. Also, one of the more alluring aspect for me, the hidden/internal wiring, is only available on the Caledonia 5, not the base model, and only with an electronic groupset, so that steps the price way up.

What does your R5 clear, tire wise? I'm currently running wide rims (Zipp 303S, 23mm int width) with modern, nominal 28mm tires (Pro 1 Addix TLE). I haven't poked around to measure the gaps, but I think that I could clear a 30mm in a Pro 1 if I wanted to; with the wide rims, this gives me quite a bit of volume - shoddy roads are no problem, likewise with shorter stretches of gravel. Realistically, a Cal5 would get me what - three or four mm of additional tire width? I don't think that that kind of difference moves the needle much in terms of road surface capability. I guess that I could also run my current wheels/tires with full fenders, and that could be appealing in some scenarios... but still - that's a lot of coin for not a ton of return, IMO.

I guess that were I stand is: if I were shopping for a new bike and it was between the Cal5 or an R-series, I'd lean Cal5... but as an owner of a recent R-series, it's just not bringing enough improvements to the table for the difference in price and it presents a poor value proposition.
That's a good perspective, thanks!

You are right - I mostly ride tarmac and if i do go into gravel, it is pretty well-packed stuff, so nothing technical. The R5 fits 30mm tires whereas my freaking Venge takes 32... go figure. I am running 28s on the Venge and 30s on the R5 right now. I have not really actually NEEDED wider tires yet. I think it is mainly OCD - in my head, having the Venge with 28c and the Other Bike with 32 or 34s would be a clearer distinction between how they are used.

Normally, i would just wait, but as it stands, i have an offer to buy the R5 frameset for very close to what i paid for it - so atleast there wont be too much of a hit in making the switch, if i so choose. That's what spurred the "should i do it" conundrum - normally, if i cant decide, i just wait and eventually, my brain settles on one course of action or the other.