Old 07-31-20, 07:07 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I’m no expert on riding a motorcycle, however, I believe motorcycle riding techniques are rarely informative in how to best ride a bicycle. The tires are dramatically wider, the weight is several hundred pounds different, the horsepower differential is several orders of magnitude.

In my understanding dragging a rear brake on a motorcycle is mostly a technique for low speed maneuvering and tight corners. It’s also done while balancing throttle input. You don’t have a throttle on a bicycle.

IMHO, dragging a rear brake cornering at the limit on bicycle is a very bad idea. Tires have a limited amount of friction. That friction can be used for breaking, or cornering. Friction used for braking is not available for cornering. Thus using the rear brake while cornering by definition increases the likelihood of the rear wheel sliding out.

Admittedly, if you’re below the limit it doesn’t matter. However, if you’re worried about crashing, you really don’t need to be lowering the limit by braking in a turn.

Much better to brake once firmly before the turn, then let the bike run until wheels are pointed straight again.
I did not say it was the same.....the comment is to their fear of crashing now and over-braking currently. And yes, I have gone into a curve on a “bicycle” hot and used the same principle and it works if you can control it. The fact is, if you have the training, it is muscle memory to a big degree. Can a cycle tire slip out easier than a motorcycle tire given the smaller footprint of contact area, sure it can. But you are not going into the curve I suspect like one on a motorbike would be so the relativity of it can apply.

If you ever want to see the insane cornering and I digress here as it concerns the OP’s fear, watch the Isle of Man TT’s and see what true insanity on two wheels can be.

To the OP, my friend you just have to get back on the saddle and work through the fear my friend. Good luck.